Entry pathways

There are many preparation and pathway programs to help you develop the skills you need to begin your studies at UOW.

Whether you completed Year 12 recently or 10 years ago, whether you gained an ATAR or not, if you've been to TAFE, had a gap year (or three) or partially completed uni studies some time ago – we can help you find the right pathway to UOW.

Students with sufficient ATAR or equivalent

You can apply to UOW using a previous Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), provided it meets the current minimum ATAR for your chosen course. UOW's Course ýer shows the ATAR requirements for each UOW degree.

If your high school results are 'old', and you did not receive an ATAR but an alternative award, you can apply using your Year 12 results. If you completed your senior school offshore, than you can use an overseas equivalent.

All results are converted to an ATAR and each applicant must reach the current minimum ATAR for the course they are applying for to be considered for entry.

Please note, if you are a current high school student proceeding to UOW straight after Year 12, you must apply through .

Students with insufficient results

If you did not achieve sufficient results during Year 12 to gain entry into UOW, there are numerous pathways you can take to get into UOW.

UOW College

 offers a number of university preparation programs that guarantee entry to UOW on successful completion. These include:

  • University Entrance Program - a 14-week (one session) program of study. This course is specifically designed to provide the necessary skills for entry to many UOW undergraduate (Bachelor) degrees.
  • Diploma programs are also available at UOW College, across a range of disciplines including Business, Engineering, IT etc. On successful completion, many of these provide entry to the second year of a number of UOW bachelor degrees.

For more information on UOW College pathway programs see the .

Students with previous university studies

If you have previous graduated, or have incomplete university studies from an approved university or other tertiary institution you may be eligible for entry to UOW. You will need to provide a record of your achievement, and the course you were studying must have been at least one-sixth completed.

In some circumstances you may be eligible for advanced standing (credit transfer) and should therefore provide a syllabus or subject descriptions for previous study.

All documents must be accompanied by an official English translation if they were produced in another language. For more information contact UOW on 1300 367 869.

Students with TAFE/AQF qualifications

Qualifications that are accredited by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), such as those provided at TAFE, can be used as a basis for entry to UOW. The type and amount of credit for prior learning granted depends on the program and subjects completed, together with the program rules and structure of the UOW degree.

The following qualifications may result in entry to some degrees:

  • Diploma
  • Advanced Diploma
  • Associate Diploma
  • Level IV Certificate (excluding trade certificates)

Admission is dependent on the completion of the course and the level of academic performance achieved.

In some circumstances, advanced standing (credit transfer) may be granted for AQF qualifications (excluding Certificate IV). This means that you gain credit towards your university degree resulting in less units of study undertaken to complete your degree.

For more information contact UOW on 1300 367 869.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students: Indigenous Admissions Program (IAP)

The Indigenous Admission Program (IAP) is a three-day workshop and assessment process that offers an alternative pathway for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people over the age of 17, to seek entry into UOW’s undergraduate programs.

The IAP welcomes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who:

  • Haven’t completed secondary school
  • Are not receiving an ATAR, or
  • Don't have the required ATAR for their preferred course.
  • Mature aged students

For further information visit the Woolyungah Indigenous Centre website or phone 4221 3776

Pathway programs for students with limited previous study

There are many options for mature age students (non-recent school leavers) who do not have a sufficient previous ATAR, years 12 results or who have not completed previous alternative study, or maybe did not finish to a Year 12 level at high school. UOW recognises many pathway programs. So no matter what your age, or previous experience, there is an option for you.

In addition to UOW College pathway programs (as above)

Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

You can gain entry to UOW via the two-hour, multiple-choice Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). The STAT assesses a range of skills and knowledge you will need for tertiary study. It is coordinated by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) and held several times a year.

The STAT is not available to prospective students applying for double degrees in the Faculty of Law, Humanities and The Arts or degrees offered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences. Contact UAC on (02) 9752 0200.

TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate

The TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC) is an alternative to undertaking a HSC course. Entry to university is dependent on the level of academic performance achieved in the TPC. For more information, contact your local .

Limited Australian Tertiary Admission Rank

You can attempt, in one sitting, between five and nine units of board approved subjects of the NSW HSC through a TAFE college, senior college or secondary school. The score is calculated from the best five units of Category A subjects including at least one unit of English. You must be at least 20 years of age on March 1 prior to the year of entry. For more information contact UOW on 1300 367 869.